Media Poster Creation (DG)

Creating a Movie Poster

During this lesson we were tasked with creating a movie poster by editing the pictures we took in the green screen room and using the software 'Photoshop CS5', the following pictures are my first attempt and my explanations of how I did this.


This is the image that I took in the green screen room using the background to surround the subject to make it easier to edit the picture. I used the red hair prop to give the subject a sense of mystery as you cannot see their face and don't know whether it's a man or a woman, and the saw for a sense of horror.


To remove the green background I used the 'Magnetic Lasso Tool' which allows me to correctly highlight the subject because it detects where the mouse is going and follows the detected colour, for instance if I just wanted the saw I could use it to follow the edge of just the saw and then remove anything else around it.
After highlighting the subject I held SHIFT + CTRL + I which used the inverse option which selects anything that is not the highlighted subject and allows you do what you want to that area.


After removing the green background I then selected an image from google and placed it as another layer by pressing the 'Create new layer' in the lower right corner in the layers window next to the 'Trash' button. After this I had to resize it as it was quite wide and had to make it tall so it would fit the 'International Paper' size which is A4 sized.


Once I finished adding another background and resizing it by holding CTRL + T, I decided to add some extra detail to the picture by taking a generic blood splash from google and resizing that as well and placing it onto the end of the saw to make it look like real blood that had came out of the subjects head. I think this was something different to what anybody else in my group had also done as I believe it made the picture look slightly more realistic as the saw is actually inside the subjects head and looks particularly clean.


After fully editing the background as well as the subject of my picture, I had to create some sort of title for my work to which I went with 'The Gril' for no specific reason. I changed the font something that looked quite Gothic Related.


After setting the title for my poster I decided to add some effects to make it look more original; I added an 'Outer Glow' which is what make the font title look brighter and as if it is illuminating light onto the picture, I also added a 'Bevel and Emboss' which made the font look thinner and more like a sign that would be hanging from the ceiling in real life.

Looking back upon my work I could've made it better by finding a more related background that wasn't as dark and less sharpened so that it didn't make the subject look like it doesn't belong there and obvious that it's been edited in.

Comments

  1. Good layout for a horror poster. A detailed account of what you did which goes beyond description, the codes and conventions we would expect to see in this genre of poster are missing- certification, release date for example.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment